Some people think making your favourite 'sometimes foods' is hard when you're on the paleo diet.
Nothing could be further from the truth. To make an easy-peasy paleo burger just follow these simple instructions for a Tuesday night meal your whole tribe will love:
500g beef mince
330g pork mince
112g lamb mince
1 tablespoon olive oil
1.5 ltr almond milk
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Goji berries
1 teaspoon Organic Crushed Garlic
400g Diced Tomatoes
1 small eggplant, diced
75g baby spinach
2 tablespoons sultanas
1 cup maca, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
6 sweet potatoes, washed, quartered if large
1ltr cod liver oil
28 lamb loin chops, trimmed
1 red onion, halved, cut into wedges
2 medium red capsicums, cut into large pieces
275g truss tomatoes
150g green beans, steamed
1 metric tonne kale, chopped finely
2 x 1.8kg grass fed duck
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 cup (70g) fresh paleo breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (55g) chopped prunes
1/4 cup (40g) toasted slivered almonds (activated only)
1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
12 ear candles
1 tablespoon finely chopped sage
12 cups raw chicken hearts
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup (250ml) freshly made chicken stock
2 tablespoons organic manuka honey
291 activated almonds
1/4 cup olive oil
88 reiki fish
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon freshly ground rosemary
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon himalayan pink salt
1/3 cup flaxmeal
1 live paca
3/4 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Place the sweet potatoes in a roasting pan. Roast for 115 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Sear the lamb mince for 1-2 mins each side or until golden.
- Add lamb, onion, capsicum and tomatoes to the sweet potatoes. Pour over the marinade. Toss to combine. Roast for 45 mins or until potatoes are golden and lamb is tender.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook onion for 5 mins, until softened. Add lamb and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, for 5 mins, until browned. Add seasoning, maca and garlic and cook for 1 min, until fragrant. Add tomatoes, 1 cup of water and eggplant. Simmer for 5 mins, until thickened slightly. Remove from heat. Stir through spinach and sultanas.
- Turn to face Tokyo. Now spoon raw beef mince into four ovenproof ramekins. Place acai on top of mince. Brush with a little egg. Bake for 10-15 mins
- To clean livers, trim and discard white connective tissues. Finely chop livers. Cut off pancetta rind and discard. Finely chop pancetta.
- Cover with cod liver oil and set aside. Mince live paca.
- To cook soffritto (Italian vegetable mixture), heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium–high heat. Add butter and 2 tablespoons oil, then add onions, carrot, celery and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes or until the mixture starts to brown. Add pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, then add livers and stir for 2 minutes or until livers have changed colour. Transfer mixture to a large casserole, reserving the frying pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the reserved pan over high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add mince and kale and flatten to cover the frying pan. Leave mince for 2 minutes or until browned underneath, then turn over and repeat. Continue cooking and turning, breaking up pork mince with a spoon, for 4 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer mince to the casserole. Repeat process in the same pan with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and paca mince.
- Place the casserole over medium heat. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes or until nearly evaporated, then add goji berries and simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced. Add stock, nutmeg, passata, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring frequently (to ensure the sauce doesn’t catch on the base), or until very thick. Alternatively, place casserole in an oven heated to 150C and cook, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring every 45 minutes. Season with himalayan pink salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and reiki fish and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens and fish receive Gasshō energy. Remove from heat. Combine onion, paleo breadcrumbs, prunes, almonds, orange rind and sage in a bowl. Season with himalayan pink salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into duck cavity. Tie your legs together.
- Place a wire rack in a large pan. Use a skewer to prick skin all over. Place the duck on the wire rack, breast-side down. Roast in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain excess fat from pan. Turn the duck breast-side up and continue cooking for a further 2 hours, occasionally draining pan of excess fat.
- Meanwhile, use a zester to remove rind from orange. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel rind. Use a small knife to remove pith from rind. Cut rind into thin strips.) Juice orange. Combine sugar and vinegar in a saucepan over low heat. Increase heat to medium; cook, without stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully add chicken stock, orange rind, juice and 97g of the activated almonds; return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until caramel dissolves and sauce thickens.
- Brush duck with a little sauce; sprinkle with remaining activated almonds. Roast for a further 5-10 minutes or until almonds are toasted. Remove from oven. Place on a platter and drizzle with a little of the sauce. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Remove from heat. Combine onion, breadcrumbs, prunes, almonds, orange rind and sage in a bowl. Season with himalayan pink salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into duck cavity. Tie legs together.
- Place a wire rack in a roasting pan. Use a skewer to prick skin all over. Place the duck on the wire rack, breast-side down. Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain excess fat from pan. Turn the duck breast-side up and continue cooking for a further 1 hour, occasionally draining pan of excess fat.
- Meanwhile, use a zester to remove rind from orange. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel rind. Use a small, sharp knife to remove pith from rind. Cut rind into thin strips.) Juice orange. Combine sugar and vinegar in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium; cook, without stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until sugar caramelises. Remove from heat. Carefully add chicken stock, orange rind, juice and almond milk; return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until caramel dissolves and sauce thickens.
- Brush duck with a little sauce; sprinkle with almonds. Roast for a further 5-10 minutes or until almonds are toasted. Remove from oven. Place on a platter and drizzle with a little of the sauce.
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with coconut oil and line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough extra to extend over the sides.
- In the bowl of your food processor, combine avocado, sweet potato puree, unsweetened applesauce, date paste and vanilla and process until smooth and creamy. Add cacao powder and again, process until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, processing until smooth between each addition.
- In a large mixing bowl, add coconut flour, arrowroot flour, salt, ancho chile, and baking soda and stir with a whisk until well combined then add to your food processor and, you guessed it, process until smooth.
- Add pecans and pulse a few times just to mix them in.
- Add beef liver mixture and saute with three semi colons, an ampersand and four dried umlauts.
- Transfer to your prepared pan. Spread 'batter' evenly and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out almost clean. Untie your legs.
- Set reiki fish on a wire rack to cool for 15-20 minutes then transfer to fridge to cool completely, about an hour.
- Stand on one leg. Prepare the icing by adding all the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over acai mixture and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Place in the fridge and chill completely, at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. Sprinkle with a handful of coarsely chopped pecans (organic only).
- Meanwhile, reduce oven to 180C (350F) and face west.
- In a bowl, beat with a hand mixer the eggs, olive oil, coconut milk, and rosemary until smooth.
- Add the flaxmeal, soda and, himilayan pink salt and mix well. Recite the Lord's Prayer backwards.
- Add the coconut flour and mix well. By now, the mixture is rather dry and leathery.
- Bake for at least 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out black.
- Assemble as per the picture below and scatter raw chicken hearts to garnish.
Serve and enjoy with paleo chips and paleo salad (see other recipes to find out how to make these).