I have recently been informed of a very dangerous chemical that is being used in virtually all school canteens in Australia.
Hydroxl acid is a chemical that coroners found was directly responsible for the deaths of 291 Australians just last year - the highest since 2009. It is colourless and odourless, and is increasingly used in a variety of industrial uses such as coal-fired power plants, as an industrial solvent, a fire suppressant, and has controversially been used by the United States military for torture. It can cause severe burns just with incidental contact:
In addition to this scientists report that it is now present in every single analysis of acid rain done this decade and Coca Cola has gone to extraordinary lengths to keep its use secret.
Doctors have long known that it can be deadly if accidentally inhaled and this is particularly dangerous for small children.
Incredibly the Victorian government not only allows the use of hydroxl acid (also known as hydroxic acid or dihydrogen monoxide) in the preparation of food in the state's schools, it actually requires it in every canteen across Victoria. Similar policies exist in every state and territory of Australia.
I have long been amazed at the food sold in our school canteens, with many of them selling only food that is entirely comprised of dangerous-sounding chemicals.
For the future of our children we have to take action.
The wisdom of the masses must be used to convince our politicians of the dangers of this chemical and to ban its use in schools immediately.
Follow me on twitter @peteevansnot